The protection of your personal data is important to us. On this page you will find out in our Privacy Protection Statement what we do for data protection and what your rights are.
§1 Information on the collection of personal data
- In the following we provide information about the collection of personal data when using our website. Personal data are all data that are personally identifiable to you, e.g. name, address, e-mail addresses, user behavior.
- The Kiel Institute for the World Economy, Kiellinie 66, 24107 Kiel, Germany, firstname.lastname@example.org (see our imprint) is responsible according to Art. 4 Sect. 7 EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). You can reach our data protection officer at: email@example.com or our postal address with the addition “The Data Protection Officer”.
§2 Collection of personal data when visiting our website
- When using the website for information purposes only, we only collect the personal data that your browser transmits to our server. If you wish to view our website, we collect the following data, which are technically necessary for us to present our website to you and to guarantee stability and security, and to perform the task assigned to us in accordance with our statutes: knowledge transfer to the interested public. (legal basis is Art. 3 Sect 1 LDSG; Art. 6 Sect. 1 lit e GDPR)
- IP address
- date and time of the request
- Content of the request (specific page)
- Access status/HTTP status code
- the amount of data transferred in each case
- Website from which the request originates
- Browser software, including language and version
- Operating system and its interface
- We store this data in so-called server log files. We neither pass on this data nor do we merge it with other data sources. We need this data in order to be able to analyze errors or track illegal use. This interest justifies the storage of the IP address that cannot easily be personalized by us for 180 days.
§3 Further processing of personal data and their deletion
- On the legal basis of Art. 3 Sect. 1 LDSG and Art. 6 Sect. 1 lit. e GDPR we process generally accessible contact data, which we have included in our mailing list after a targeted and conscientious search. We inform these contacts exclusively about our work and events, in order to fulfill our public statutory mandate and purpose. A transfer of the data to third parties or a use for commercial purposes does not take place.
- Processing and storage of this data will only take place for the period required to achieve the purpose of storage and in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and the federal state regulations. Upon achievement of the purpose, the data will be deleted in accordance with the law.
- In addition to the aforementioned data, cookies are stored on your computer when you use our website. Cookies are small text files that are stored on your hard disk in the browser you use and through which certain information flows to the place that sets the cookie (here by us). Cookies cannot run programs or transmit viruses to your computer. They serve to make the Internet offer more user-friendly and effective overall.
This website uses the following types of cookies, the scope and functionality of which are explained below:
- Transient cookies (see a)
- Persistent cookies (see b).
- Transient cookies are automatically deleted when you close your browser. This includes in particular the session cookies. These store a so-called session ID, with which different requests of your browser can be assigned to the common session. This will allow your computer to be recognized when you return to our website. Session cookies are deleted when you log out or close your browser.
- Persistent cookies are automatically deleted after a specified period which may vary depending on the cookie. You can delete cookies at any time in the security settings of your browser.
- We request your consent to accept cookies when you visit the website (legal basis is Art. 6 Sect. 1 lit. a GDPR). If you agree, your consent will be stored as a cookie (cookienote) in the browser program of your device for one year.
- You can configure your browser settings according to your wishes and, for example, refuse the acceptance of third party cookies or all cookies. Please note that you may not be able to use all functions of this website.
§5 Use of analysis services
- Our website uses the open source web analysis service Matomo (formerly “PIWIK”). Matomo is operated on one of our servers. Matomo generates two cookies (_pk_id.##### and _pk_ses.####). If you agree to accept cookies, the data generated by the cookie about your use of our website will be stored on our server together with additional usage data. These statistics serve us to improve the usability of the website and the usefulness of its contents. We keep these statistics for several years. To protect your identity, the second half of your IP address is omitted when saving. These data cannot be assigned to specific persons.
- If you do not agree to the storage and use of this data, you can deactivate the analysis service here. In this case, an opt-out cookie is stored in your browser which prevents Matomo from saving usage data. If you delete your cookies, the Matomo opt-out cookie will also be deleted. The opt-out must then be reactivated the next time you visit our site.
§6 Contacting us
When you contact us by e-mail or via a contact form, the data you provide in the form will be stored by us in the mail program of the responsible employee in order to be able to enter into dialogue with you. When contacting us by e-mail, we assume your consent so that we can reply to you (legal basis is Art. 6 Sect. 1 S. 1 lit. a GDPR). We delete the data arising in this context after the storage is no longer necessary, or limit the processing if statutory retention obligations exist.
§7 Social Networks
We maintain profile pages on several social media platforms. We have no knowledge of the content of the data transmitted during the use of these platforms and their use by the operators and do not receive any information about this. Further information on this can be found in the data protection declarations of the operators linked below. Our website also contains links that activate the functions of individual social networks (Google Maps, Twitter, Youtube). If you click on one of these links, a direct connection is established between your browser and the social network, even if you do not leave our website. The social network server receives the information that you have visited our website with your IP address.
Facebook and Instagram
Facebook Ireland Limited, 4 Grand Canal Square, Dublin 2, Irland
Joint processing agreement: https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms/page_controller_addendum.
Information on page insights data can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms/information_about_page_insights_data.
505 N Mathilda Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94085, USA
Links on our site that link to LinkedIn are identified by the LinkedIn logo (“in”).
1355 Market Street, Suite 900, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
Links on our site that connect you to Twitter can be recognized by the Twitter logo (a little bird).
Dammtorstrasse 29- 32, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Links on our site that connect you to XING are identified by the XING logo (“X”).
YouTube LLC and GoogleMaps
901 Cherry Ave, San Bruno, CA 94066, USA
Links on our site that connect you to YouTube or GoogleMaps can be recognized by the YouTube logo (a “Play” button) or the Google logo respectively
During events organised by the Kiel Centre for Globalization, we take photos and films for our public relations work in online and print media, including social media channels, and in individual cases pass them on to third parties for reporting purposes. The recordings will be deleted as soon as they have fulfilled the purpose for our public relations and documentation work. If you do not wish to be photographed, please inform one of our local employees.
You have the right to demand deletion of an image that concerns you and the right to appeal to a supervisory authority. Legal basis Art. 6 para. 1 lit. e), § 3 para. 1 LDSG SH. The contact details for your data protection concerns can be found below.
§9 Your rights
You have the following rights towards us with regard to personal data concerning you:
- Right to information,
- Right to correction or deletion,
- right to limitation of processing,
- where applicable right of opposition to the processing,
- Right to data transferability.
- If you have given your consent to the processing of your data, you have the right to rescind this at any time. Such a cancellation affects the permissibility of processing your personal data after you have issued your cancellation.
- You also have the right to complain to a competent data protection supervisory authority, e.g. Unabhängiges Landeszentrum für Datenschutz (Independent National Centre for Data Protection) at www.datenschutzzentrum.de about our processing of your personal data.
- You can inform us about your objection under the following contact data: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
If you have any further questions about our data protection and the processing of your data, please contact our data protection officer: firstname.lastname@example.org